Pugmire Family Blog

We are just starting out as a little family, and decided to create this blog to share with our extended family members, and hopefully help us connect to more family members that are out there somewhere. Welcome to Posts a la Pugmire!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

November Showers Bring May Flowers

Yes, I know it's December and I'm a little late with this post, but it is what it is.

About halfway through November Howard and I picked up and planted the tulip bulbs that we bought in April at the Tulip Festival in Mt. Vernon.  I had totally forgotten about them, considering you purchase in April, but don't recieve until October/November, and don't see them until the next April...so it's safe to say that I'll probably forget about them again sometime soon until I see the little green shoots sprouting out of the earth in the spring!

I claim to hate gardening, mostly because I hate getting dirt under my fingernails.  And gardening gloves just do NOT keep enough dirt out from under your fingernails.  But Howard forced me out there to help him while Averie was napping one drizzly afternoon, and about an hour and 28 bulbs later, I realized it wasn't that bad.  I think what saved my experience was actually the drizzle...who knew!

The smell of damp dirt is fairly pleasant, and cool moist air always smells clean and fresh.  We got our little flowerbed all weeded and clear, and mixed up the dirt so it was all dark and crumbly...kinda like cake : )  We got them in the ground about 2 weeks before the freeze and snow, and we didn't have to water them in because of all the rain.  It feels really good to grow things, even though the anticipation is a little painful right now.  And because I couldn't wait until April to see some tulips, I kept 2 of the bulbs for myself and put them in a vase with stones to try and force them to grow indoors.  Maybe I'll give a weekly photo update!  It'll be like a tiny bit of spring in the middle of winter!
Winter Tulips Day 1

No comments:

Post a Comment